I know it's a little bit late to have finally come up with a resolution for 2010, but better late than never has always been a favorite motto of mine.
My resolution is to begin to use Lie and Lay correctly when I speak and write.
This is a big change for me; because, I am a firm believer that language is a living/breathing entity and therefore is in a constant state of motion and change. The language must change in order to continue to exist, and it changes according to the way that it is used. Therefore, old-fashioned grammar nazis are one of my biggest pet-peeves.
I used to stand firm on my position that it's OK to use Lie and Lay incorrectly; because, seriously, who doesn't misuse those words? I can name 3 people off the top of my head who use them correctly and they all fall into my definition of old-fashioned grammar nazi. Everyone else I know is perfectly content to boldly mention how they would like to LAY down and take a nap or that they LAID down on the couch for a cat-nap that afternoon.
I don't know when or why my position on the use of these words changed; all I know is that they did. Change.
And I have a new resolution.
I even brought my students into the action. We had a lesson on the correct use of
LIE, LAY, has/have/had LAIN
&
LAY, LAID, has/have/had LAID
with special help from my long-lost friend Grammar Girl.
I told my students the truth... that very few people use these words correctly, me being one of them. I told them that together we are going to change the world. Or at least the school. Or at least our own class.
I'm serious about it too.
So with that said...
Whew! I'm beat! I think I'll go lie down and take a quick rest before my next class begins.
This morning I lay in my bed listening to my alarm and trying to find motivation to get my lazy butt out of bed.
I have lain in bed many-a-night contemplating what the future holds for me.
.................................
Oh man. All this lying around is making me tired!
1 comment:
Good for you! I always have to stop and think about these words before I use them. I know that I have used them incorrectly many times.
Good luck!
Post a Comment