Growing up, I journaled on a daily basis. I continued all the way through the end of my freshman year in college. For this reason, I have a razor sharp memory of my yester-years.
I also am infatuated with finding the perfect quote for the perfect situation. And, I don't often quote MYSELF, but I will today.
In one journal entry that I wrote sometime in the junior high era of my life, I said the following, "When things are going well for me, it seems like as soon as I acknowledge it in writing, things change for the worse."
I think of that quote often. You know why?
Because it's STILL true to this day!
After that last post where I basically claimed once and for all that my inner turmoil about being a teacher was officially over, doncha know that I went to school today and had absolutely THE worst teaching day ever.
Maybe I was tired.
Maybe it was the fact that it hit a record breaking 86 degrees today and there's no AC in my school.
Maybe it was just the curse of the fact that I acknowledged in writing that things were going well.
Whatever the reason, this day was awful. Pitiful. Dreadful. Horrific.
I was really about to get down on myself about it. I briefly considered changing my mind about the whole "meant to be a teacher" thing.
But, on my drive home - lucky for me I have a loong 45 minute drive home to spend fully contemplating my day - I decided not to let the day get me down. Yes, it's true, today the kids were pretty much the epitome of why every time I tell someone I'm a junior high teacher they gasp in dismay. However, I decided to take the focus off of them for a hot second and take a look in the (rearview) mirror. What could I have done differently today to make things better?
What did I not handle to the best of my ability? What changes can I make tomorrow so that I don't drive home tomorrow feeling like I've been run over by a pack of wild animals (or teenagers, if you will)?
I think I came up with a couple of pretty good answers to those questions.
Tomorrow is a new day, and I have a plan.
Wish me luck - and lots and lots of patience. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment