Wednesday, December 17, 2008

6th Graders

I'm an 8th grade homeroom teacher; however, I do have one class with the 6th grade class. I teach them literature. And, seriously, (I am not exaggerating or tooting my own horn) the 6th graders ABSOLUTELY LOVE me.

When they see me at school they scream my name and wave hello OR give me a high five OR give me a hug. Always, no exceptions. They think I am absolutely HILLARIOUS. They laugh at every single joke I make, every facial expression I make sets them into hysterics. I actually have to tone down my silliness with them because they can get over-the-top and out-of-control hysterical over the simplest thing.

They claim loud and clear for all to hear that Mrs. (Sorry) is the BEST teacher EVER (one student even gave a persuasive speech today claiming that I am the best teacher -- and she actually had some excellent logic and reasoning to back up her claim IMHO). During the speech, her classmates held up signs that said things such as "Team (Sorry)" & "Mrs. (Sorry) Rocks!" Oh yes, and they also recently have been telling me that I am a GREAT actress - I like to do impressions of how a student should NOT behave/give a speech/read a story/etc. They think it's really funny when I do that.


You might think I'm exaggerating. I'm not. They simply LOVE me.

I might get really full of myself.. IF I wasn't also the 8th grade teacher. Because 8th graders? They think I'm funny.. sometimes. Mostly they just think I'm 'weird'. To be completely honest with you, I'm 99.9% sure that deep down on the inside they like me almost as much as those 6th graders, but do you think that they will tell me that? Nope. Not in so many words. Do you think an 8th grader would ever be caught DEAD giving a speech about what a wonderful teacher they have? Oh my gosh, that would be, like, social SUICIDE or something.

But, you know, I guess that's why in the end I really do prefer those 8th graders.

They keep me humble. And, humility is a wonderful thing.

No comments: