I have a confession. I am a reality nut.
I am pretty sure I can trace it back to Reality Bites - my absolute favorite movie in junior high. This movie also gets credit for the video camera I purchased in 7th grade (with the money my aunt very generously left me in her will) and the subsequent dozens of videos chronicling my teenage years with my besties. (I really need to put those videos on dvd... stat... lest they be lost forever).
I was completely obsessed with The Real World for years and years. Back when it wasn't quite so.... trashy and was really an experiment in sociology. In fact, it was my life's goal for quite some time to actually be on The Real World.
I am also completely enthralled with the "reality" genre of books. My absolute favorite books of all time are true stories... I think that's why I like them so much. They're real. I am amazed by the things that people have encountered, survived. The Glass Castle = the greatest book of all time. My jaw was on the floor through 98% of that book, and it's one of the few I've read over and over and over again only to be continually shocked and amazed.
...which brings me to my latest obsession. Sister Wives. Have you watched this show? I am totally captivated by it. Last year when I was pregnant, I spent an entire weekend watching every episode of the first season on TLC on demand. I couldn't look away. The new season recently started, and apparently it's so much on my mind that I had a dream that I was one of the wives in a polygamist family, and I was trying to get my husband's attention the entire dream. It was terrible! I definitely think the idea behind polygamy is completely bogus, and I can't say that I think these people are doing their kids any favors by bringing them up in this lifestyle.... but... there's something so innocent and sincere about these people and their kids. It's intriguing.
My other TLC reality fave is The Little Couple. LOVE THEM.
I admit I also have been known to frequent such classless shows as The Real Housewives of (fill in blank because I watch them all), Keeping up with the Kardashians (everything that happens in that show is so obviously staged, but it still sucks me in), Teen Mom (which is completely depressing, but it's one of those car accident kind of things where I just can't look away), and the absolute worst of the worst..... nevermind. I just can't admit to watching that, but you can probably guess...
I am a snoop by nature. I love to know about people's lives. Yes. That's right. I'm a reality junky and not afraid to admit it.
1 comment:
So...you forgot to tell about leaving tape recorders hidden in rooms when you were 7!! The snooping started early!
Post a Comment