I just wasted quite a bit of my life trying to decide on a new template for my blog via blogger. I'm not happy with it, but I can't waste another second of this day doing this so I'm just going to move on...
*ahem. shall I start again?
What I meant to say was...
There are many not-so-easy things about being married to the marine corps, but the one that gives me the most trouble is not being able to plan ahead.
Example: Mike was told before we moved here that he should take all of his leave before he arrived because the new guys get the worst schedules and there wouldn't be any time for vacation. For this reason, I told my parents that they were going to be visiting us this Thanksgiving holiday. If Mike did get Thursday off, he certainly wouldn't get much more than that, I reasoned.
When he started shadowing and learning his job, his buddy told him that they are getting off from the day before Thanksgiving until the day after New Years. Wow! My mind started reeling instantly. So many plans to make, so little time.
The day that I finally wrote emails to my family announcing that we would be going north for Thanksgiving this year, Mike came home and told me that only that particular company gets vacation from Thanksgiving until New Years and there's no guarantee that he will stay in that particular company...
...
How many times have I made plans only to have to change them later? How many times has my family hung in limbo waiting for my GO AHEAD to buy plane tickets or plan an event? How many times have I simply said, "Don't plan around US. We have NO IDEA what will be going on in our lives then."
(thankfully, he did find out only a week later that he will, in fact, be staying in the company with the awesome holiday vacation schedule. I am excited, but I'm keeping my cool over this one. I don't want to be too shocked when the text comes in stating that he was misinformed...)
....
Also. I was super excited to go to our town's annual shrimp festival as a family this weekend. Mike is still shadowing, so his hours are pretty relaxed compared to what they're going to be. He gets home at a reasonable hour every day. He's even been able to sleep in once or twice. We both figured that since this festival is going on for 2 straight days, we wouldn't have a problem figuring out a time to check it out. Yesterday afternoon, though, I received a text.
He was assigned to do a command investigation that is due promptly Monday morning. He didn't get home until only an hour before Sawyer's bedtime last night (translation: no festival) and he hopes to be home today in time to be able to make it to the festival this evening.... but no promises.
Plans. Hopes. Expectations.
not for this military wife.
1 comment:
UGH. Hope you get to that shrimp fest! YUM! I like the new template -- would be cute for out by ten, too. :)
Post a Comment