there's a question that has been bugging me for quite some time now. as a "single" person, cooking is not always my favorite option for meals. it's really hard to shop and cook for one person. despite great intentions a lot of food goes to waste (or to my dogs' doggie dishes - thus the reason why they fully expect to be fed every time I turn on the oven).
for this reason, i often find myself resorting to take out. yum.
thai food is one of my favorites, and it is at this particular restaurant that i face a predicament.
i pay by credit card - always - and on that darn receipt is a place for tip. i don't usually give a tip, but the question of whether i actually should be giving a tip has really begun to bug me. i reason that the restaurant hasn't done any service beyond what mcdonalds does every minute of every day, so why do they deserve a tip? but then i always feel bad. really bad. are they expecting a tip? i am the annoying customer who doesn't leave one? does their heart sink when i hand my receipt over and they see a big stinkin' $0.00 in the space for tip?
so i pose this question to you, 3 readers...
should i tip or shouldn't i tip for take-out?
i will leave this decision to you.
4 comments:
I don't tip when I order carry out, but like you, I wonder if I should.
I think for carry out you do NOT have to tip...that is just something that is on all credit card receipts. However, you could put a couple dollars in the tip jar every once and a while when you are feeling really good about them...they would probably appreciate a tip in cash much more than in credit.
so.. I do usually tip.. lightly.. for take out.. because a waitress/waiter is usually the one who puts the order together, and it is taking their time, and they still do get crappy hourly wages.. but I think the tip jar is a better idea, if they actually have one.
I say no tip for carry out.
Post a Comment