Thursday, March 25, 2010

things and books

*Disclaimer: something weird is going on with my blog today and it won't allow me to use italics to properly indicate book titles. So, please don't judge me for the errors with book titles that you find below. Thank you and have a nice day.



To be perfectly honest with you, it's actually a bit frightening how easily I have slipped into the alone life again. Apparently I'm, like, a pro at it or something. After the initial shock of saying goodbye and all, I've been perfectly fine. I haven't even been concerned about crazy people stalking around the outside of my house in the nighttime hours. My dogs aren't even doing odd things like eating our couch. And, I haven't even had a teeny bit of insomnia.

I think I might be totally used to this. Weird.


In other recent news, I found out I won my sister's contest and will be handed a $50.00 Borders (or is it Barnes and Noble? oops!) giftcard when I see her over Easter. Truth be told, I feel really bad that I won it since I am her sister and all, but I know I won it fair and square and might possibly be her most loyal reader (since I check her blog repeatedly on some days in the hopes that she added something new since I last checked 10 minutes ago...) and.. where was I going with this? Oh, I wanted to tell you about how I am literally salivating over the idea of how to spend my newly acquired book money.

Speaking of books, lately my reading list has been 100% recommended by my students. I tend to trust them since they were, afterall, the ones who got me into Twilight. Recently, a few of them claimed that The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod series is better than Twilight. Well, that was a mighty bold claim indeed so I absolutely had to check that out immediately. I finished the first book, and, fellow Twihards, have no fear. Vladimir Tod has nothing on Edward and Bella. Though I have agreed to read the next few books before I pass total judgment since the students say the books only continue to get better and better. I shall see.

Other students swear by the Percy Jackson books and claim that they are better than Twilight, too. I highly doubt it, but I'll have to check those out when I'm finished with Vlad. I notice that the Percy Jackson series is one that is most frequented by 6th grade boys, so I have my doubts about its greatness. (Hmm.. that sounded wrong. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the reading taste of 6th grade boys, I'm just saying that we don't tend to have similar interests so I can't imagine we would fall in love with the same books.. but hey, you never know!)

Another student has been begging me to read the book The Shadow Club for weeks now. I brought it home with me today and am feeling torn between getting going on it and finishing the second book in the Vladimir Tod series.

All in all, I have to say that I honestly believe that the kids today (at least the kids at my school) are reading tons more than my friends and I ever did. And I actually read. A Lot. Or, what was a lot by the standards of kids back when I was one. I honestly attribute this to the amazing selection of novels for young adults these days.

Pretty cool.

1 comment:

Dr. Blondie said...

I'm almost finished with book #2 of the Percy Jackson series and NO WAY is it better than Twilight! Or Harry Potter! It's been a while since I read the Harry Potter books, but from what I remember, J.K. Rowling lured you into her fantastical world bit by bit, slowly and methodically so that you really start to believe that it's real (okay, maybe it was just me:). She paced the introduction of new creatures and tricks well throughout the entire series. She gave you enough time to get used to and believe one thing before she sprung something new on you. Rick Riordan is the opposite. From the first few pages of the series, you have weird creatures and happenings thrust upon you. It's a lot at once, and very far fetched (okay, not like Harry Potter or Twilight are at all realistic, but those book left me with a feeling that their stories actually COULD happen, Percy Jackson, not so much).

These books are definitely worth a read, especially since your students are so crazy about them. I do plan to finish the series.