Sunday, March 7, 2010

Good Week

A couple of cool things have happened since I last wrote:

First of all, every year students from schools all over San Diego County take placement tests to get into the 4 Catholic High Schools in the area. These high schools then give out scholarships to the students who have received the highest test scores. Well, this past Monday I found out that 2 of the top 5 scores for one of the high schools came from my teeny tiny 17 person 8th grade class! That news is incredible. I am still in slight shock over it. The craziest part is one of the people who scored in the top 5 was this girl who didn't start speaking English on a regular basis until she was in 6th grade, still never speaks to her parents in English, and reported to me just this Friday that though she is an avid reader now, she never cracked open a book for her own enjoyment until she came to this school in 6th grade. In any case, I was a little bit grumpy this past Monday morning, but that didn't last long after I heard the news. All I can think about right now is an annoying cheer that our school does at assemblies instead of clapping..."Good Job! Good Job! G-double-0-d-j-o-b! Good Job! Good Job!" :)

Also, I have a new friend. Yay! The new teacher and I went out to happy hour after work which is officially a first for me. Considering that the other teachers at the school are all at least 10 years older than me, it is good to have someone to call friend. Finally.

All in all, I would have to say that this was a good week.

No comments: