I'll tell you what...I have to give the Marine Corps credit, because it seems to me that they're going out of their way to make sure that this is one hell of a Deployment Practice. They must really want to challenge me.. considering the fact that despite the lack of phone availability where my husband is.. he has managed to wander around in the dessert every night to find a phone signal to call me. These phone calls are really quite a joy considering that the connection drops every 2 minutes and the wind in the dessert blows so hard that even when hubby puts his head in his shirt I can still barely hear anything he says over the noise of the whipping wind. As you can imagine, communication has been really great.. (she says sarcastically!)!!!
Speaking of fun deployment practices, did I mention that I was attacked by a swarm of bees today? Okay, so maybe the bees don't have anything to do with deployment practice, but I just REALLY want to tell you about my experience with the bees.
Today we had a field day to celebrate the end of the school year. I was supervising a 6th grade game of soccer, and in order to see the game play from a different angle, took a stroll down to the other end of the soccer field where not many people were. All of the sudden, I heard someone shout "BEES!" -- and suddenly I was surrounded by bees. It was hundreds, if not thousands of bees. If you've ever seen My Girl use that as a frame of reference and multiply the size of that swarm of bees by like 10. So, here I am surrounded by a swarm of bees. These bees were flying over me, around me, under me, they were touching me, buzzing in my face, and I DID NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO. I looked up for a moment and saw that the students and teachers on all of the surrounding fields had vacated the area.. and the 5 or so 6th graders left on my end of the soccer field had hit the deck. They were on the ground, everyone else was gone, and there was me.. standing in the middle of this bee swarm in a complete and total panic. I did NOT know what to do. I seriously thought that I must be getting stung repeatedly, but I was probably just TOO SCARED to feel the stings. Finally, I made my decision and hit the deck with the 6th graders. And, we laid there together.. until the swarm was gone.
Seriously, it was one of the scariest things that has EVER happened to me. And, I still to this moment cannot believe that I was so panicked in that situation that I had to take my cues from my students.
And, get this... despite the attack of hundreds of bees on my school's field day.. no one got stung.
Not even me.
Unbelievable, I know.
No comments:
Post a Comment