When I had my first real prenatal check-up, I was incredibly nervous. I was afraid that during that first ultrasound we would find that my baby was not thriving. Instead, we found an Olympic gymnast flipping around in there. That image fortified me beyond belief. During those early days when I was oh so very nervous that something would go wrong, all I had to do was think about that baby flipping around in there having the time of his or her life, and it would bring a smile to my face.
During the late days of pregnancy, I would sit in awe staring at my belly shift and contort in the most amazing ways as my very active little man would find some way to roll around despite his constantly shrinking living quarters.
He was 10 days late, so I had to go into the doctor a few times for those stress tests where they strap a monitor to your belly and observe the motion and heartbeat for an extended period of time. I was supposed to click a button every time my baby moved. The first time I went I clicked it every two seconds the entire time. Literally. He would not stop moving. Something about the monitor got him going.
These days, now that my little man has achieved the mobility he has so greatly yearned for over the past many months, I am seeing a bit of that olympic gymnast in real life.
We purchased one of those video camera monitors for Sawyer's room because every time I would go in to get him in the morning he would be in a different corner of his crib in a totally different position from how I left him. It totally freaked me out.
Now that we can watch him, though, it is quite a sight to see. All night long our precious little baby rolls, turns, flails, and basically covers every square inch of that crib.... all while he is sleeping.
He is a very active little boy, and that active little boy is my world.
.................................................................................................................
No. I'm not really worried about him. My father-in-law spoke with a pediatrician he knows and respects in Bethesda, MD. He was not alarmed or worried about the situation. When we are on the East Coast in only a few weeks we will see this doctor for his second opinion. In the meantime, he has requested that we keep a record of everything that Sawyer eats. For my part, I have been pumping a lot more and giving Sawyer bottles much more often, so that I can really be sure that my supply is up to par and that he really is taking in a decent amount of breastmilk. So far my experiment has proven that all is well in the breastmilk department, and he certainly has a healthy appetite.
My honest belief is that he is just fine. I think he started out in life bigger than he's really meant to be and his body is now adjusting. I know he's eating well. He's active. Happy. Content. Babbling. Sleeping well. His eyes shine with life and personality. He is everything you would expect a healthy baby to be. I just cannot believe that there is something wrong. That's how I feel.
At least... that's how I feel right now. Ask me in 2 minutes, and I might be panicking again.
No comments:
Post a Comment