Tuesday, July 19, 2011

2 minutes later

Is it two minutes later?

Yep.

Well, then, you won't be surprised to know that I am now totally freaking out about Sawyer's weight situation.
Mike came home yesterday and told me his dad called him and said the head pediatrician at the naval hospital here is strongly recommending that Sawyer come in for 3 days for tests, monitoring, time with a dietician, etc.

At first, we both blew it off as being a ridiculous overreaction. Mike's dad was once the commanding officer at this naval hospital I speak of, so we figured when the former CO calls and says, "I'm concerned about my grandson", the doctors aren't very likely to say, "Oh. No Worries. Everything Is Fine."

At about 10:30 that night, I received an email from Mike's dad that went into detail about this specific pediatrician's concerns and why it is imperative that we take care of this right away.
I actually slept that night, and when I woke up it was one of those times where I was carefree for a moment and then I remembered and was like oh. right. that. :(

So I called my mom and discussed. More. As if I hadn't already talked to her about this specific subject for hours on end. I had decided as soon as I read that email from Mike's dad that it was time to put my big girl pants on and take my darn baby to the hospital to get him the care that he needs. Maybe it will be nothing. Maybe they will say, "Oh. False Alarm. Your Baby is Perfect. Just as you Thought." But I'm starting to get the feeling it's not really going to go like that.

I'd like to go on record saying that it really pays to know people in high places. I'm almost completely certain that never in the history of naval medicine has anything moved quite as swiftly as it did for me this morning. I spoke with Mike's dad for a minute. He gave me the cell phone number of the head pediatrician and told me to call him. I called him. He didn't answer. He called me back 10 minutes later apologizing for not answering my phone call. He's traveling. He spoke to me about the situation for a few minutes. While speaking to him the sick feeling in my stomach slowly started to disappear. A little bit of relief took its place. He told me I had to have my pediatrician refer Sawyer to their care. My pediatrician did. And, in less then two hours, I was speaking to the on-call pediatrician at the hospital and he was telling me they were ready for me when I got there

....

I told him this was all moving a bit fast for me. Could I bring Sawyer in tomorrow?

Sure thing, he said.

It's settled. Tomorrow we go to the hospital, and maybe it will be the worst couple of days of my entire life. Maybe it will be incredibly stressful and anxiety inducing and not really very convenient At. ALL. But at least I know. Know for sure that I am doing everything I can to make sure that my little baby is getting the best possible care he can get.

My mom is flying in tonight.

She told me on the phone... I'm coming.

I cried.

Did you know Mike's going through an intense training right now for the military? He's more than halfway finished, and if he were to take off even an hour he would have to drop out? I don't want him to drop out. So having my mom here for support will be priceless.

Please pray for my little baby. He is my world, and I just want him to be healthy.

healthy and happy.

1 comment:

Dr. Blondie said...

Best wishes that all of these tests go smoothly and are painless. Thinking of you!