Getting Sawyer here was a bit of an ordeal. Our (very young) pediatrician (who obviously has no kids of her own) told us at our first appointment that she wishes we would consider driving our one-month-old baby across the country instead of flying him.
....
Um. I can think of about a thousand reasons why driving a newborn baby across the country in the dead of winter is a bad idea right off hand. Her opinion sent us into a bit of a tailspin to say the least. Despite the fact that we got a second opinion and a third opinion (and a thousand other opinions from family and friends) and despite the fact that my gut told me that driving across the country with my newborn baby would be nothing short of my worst nightmare, that pediatrician sufficiently freaked the hell out of me, and I knew that I would be worried sick about the trip no matter what.
Thankfully, my wonderful sister did the plane trip with me since Michael had the task of driving the dogs back. The trip went as smoothly as it could possibly have gone, despite the fact that a lady with a cold who was blowing her nose on her shirt and sneezing freely into the recirculated air sat right in front of us AND the fact that I woke up to a couple inches of snow on the ground and had a minor panic attack imagining that I might be sitting in the airport for hours on end with my newborn waiting for my delayed flight to take off... yeah... despite those two minor setbacks the trip actually went off without a hitch.
Of course, I have acquired a bit of a cold since then so I'm pretty convinced that Sawyer is going to get it too and I've already warned Mike that the first time Sawyer gets sick I'm going to totally FREAK OUT. I will not be cool with it at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I will think he's dying or something equally absurd. Because, yes, I am crazy psycho overprotective parent. I'm not proud of it, but it is what it is.
In any case, we're back in the greater San Diego area now, and I couldn't be enjoying the weather any more. I miss the fam. I do not miss the dreary gray skies and bone chilling cold. I currently have a trillion things to get done around the house and very limited time to do them, so I am not at all bored as I thought I might be.
Sawyer amazes me every single day with how fast he is growing and developing. Last night he slept 6 hours in one stretch. crazy! Then today was a huge day for him. Not only did he finally discover how to get and keep his fist in his mouth, but he also rolled over. twice. I'm sure he's quite advanced. In fact, I'm pretty sure I smell professional athlete in his future. Just saying.
And then... there's that smile. Does it get any cuter than that? seriously.
:)
No comments:
Post a Comment