As a teacher, I've found that it's very common for me to have HIGH highs and LOW lows. There are also many of those inbetween moments, too; it's just that those moments don't seem to stick with me as much.
Sometimes an entire day is good or bad. But, usually, it's moment to moment.
For instance, today I had an extremely successful religion class with my 8th graders. It was one of those times where everything just seemed to click into place and all of the students were engaged and part of it. We were having a class discussion and they were eager and interested and it was soooo awesome! It's moments like those that I get it - the whole being a teacher thing. I was flying high during that discussion. Nothing could bring me down.
That is....
Until the next class period when I gave the students in my 5/6 language arts class the wrong words for their vocabulary test. I gave them the Unit 5 words instead of Unit 4. And, doncha know, they let me get through the whole list of words before one brave student raised his hand and said, "Umm.. Mrs. (Sorry), I don't think these are our words."
Sure enough.
In that case, there was nothing I could do but laugh.
And I also gave them a little bit of extra study time as apology for scaring the living crap out of them. I'm sure they were all having secret anxiety attacks thinking they had made the mistake and studied the wrong words.
I heard a few of them chuckle quietly and make comments like, "Oh, that Mrs. (Sorry)." I don't think any of them were too surprised. Sadly, it's not out of character for me to do that kind of thing.
Yeah.
High highs and Low lows, that's me.
No comments:
Post a Comment