In a lot of ways, this whole knowing that I'm not going to be teaching at my school next year thing is incredibly liberating.
This year feels really easy. Part of it, I am realizing, is that since this is my 4th year of teaching, a lot of things are simply coming easier to me. For example, though I don't ever repeat exact lesson plans every year or exact projects, I have now taught the art of writing the personal narrative 3 years in a row, so teaching it this year is an absolute breeze. That's just one example of many.
I'm completely comfortable, and though there was a part of me (I'm just going to be completely honest here) was a bit nervous when I met the new teacher and realized that I would lose the novelty of being the only young teacher, I am now realizing that she may be younger, skinnier, blonder, prettier, and more stylish than I am, but those are not the things that make the students enjoy having me as a teacher. It's been a fairly affirming experience for me.
But, I seem to have lost track of where I was going with this whole thing. You see, I set out to tell you about how freeing it is to know that I won't be teaching at my school next year. I am using the same lesson plans and projects for both 7th and 8th grade this year (knowing that I won't have the 7th graders next year in 8th grade it frees me to use the same lesson ideas, slightly modified for their different curriculum, of course), and to be completely honest, I could really care less about a lot of things. My focus is on the kids, not on the drama the teachers and administration provide, and that makes my life so much more pleasant.
At the same time, though, I've been feeling fairly sentimental about the whole thing. Last week probably 12 of my previous year's 8th graders came by to say hello to me and update me on their high school journeys. It was really awesome, but a little bit sad, too. I mean, how will this year's 8th grade class update me on their high school journey if I'm not there for them to stop by and see next year?
Also, remember how I mentioned that I, sadly, am not teaching Literature 7 this year? Today the 7th graders were lamenting this fact to me and asking me if I would be their Literature teacher next year. Hmm... I think not, but they can't know that. Not yet, anyway.
That whole conversation made me a little bit sad.
However, I do stand by my decision. I will miss the kids more than I'm sure I even realize now, but I am ready to move on.
1 comment:
I think this is all the evidence that you need to make sure you don't leave teaching forever...just temporarily!!
(Oh, PS I got to hear the real teacher from the movie Freedom Writers yesterday--so inspiring!!!)
Post a Comment