This week at school everyone was sick. In one of my classes the chorus of coughing students caused me to change my lesson plans so that the students just worked quietly at their desks. If I had tried to teach any kind of lesson, I was convinced that the students wouldn't have been able to hear me over the sound of coughing. It was that bad. I also had two students leave my class in one days to throw up. At one point, I got out a surgical mask, (that my 8th graders all have in their things for science labs) put it over my face, and walked around the room giving each of my students a squirt of hand sanitizer. I was desperate.
But do you think that kept me from catching that awful bug that was going around? Of course not. I think I knew after hearing the very first cough that I would be its next victim. About halfway through my day yesterday, I found myself feeling disoriented, achy, and requiring multiple layers of clothing. My students told me it wasn't cold enough in the classroom for me to be wearing my shirt that I came in with, a sweater, and a jacket. I told them that I must be getting sick.
My 40 minute ride home yesterday evening was completely miserable. The only saving grace to that was my heated seats which thoroughly soothed my aching back. Now, here I am wasting a perfectly good Saturday away lying on my couch and taking naps with a few short trips to the computer... only to head back to the couch for another nap.
Don't get me wrong. I love being lazy on Saturdays... I would just prefer not to have a pounding headache, burning throat, and aching body.
But, I figure if I was going to get sick this is really the best time. It hit me at the end of the week so I can (hopefully) kick this before Monday, and because I am sick now I hopefully will be healthy as a horse for my mother's visit next weekend.. and of course Hubby's return from Iraq.
Speaking of Hubby's return.. I finally found out a date. It's not set in stone, of course, until 10 days before the return, but it's nice to have a frame of reference. It's later than I thought it would be.. but what's another week or two?
As long as I can keep myself as positive as possible, this last month is sure to fly by. That's my plan! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment