As of tomorrow, it will officially be a month since I put Hubby on a bus and sent him off to Iraq. (I like to pretend that it was my choice that he went.. that way I don't feel so powerless living this military centered life)! :) And, believe it or not, the month has gone by pretty quickly and with very little turbulence.
This deployment, so far, has already proven to be MUCH better than the last. There are many factors involved in this..
1) Hubby is Happy!!! This is extremely important during a deployment. If Hubby is miserable that means communication with Hubby is miserable which means I AM MISERABLE too. So, Hubby being happy is an amazing gift.
2) Communication is GREAT! I talk to Hubby every day!! (mostly through email) And thanks to the amazing wonders of technology, today I actually had the (mis)fortune of seeing Hubby and his (terrible) moustache (that he always likes to grow on deployments!) via webcam from the comfort of my very own computer room!!
3) I've had Company!! Two weeks after Hubby left, my parents arrived in town for 10 days of keeping me company and the DAY that my parents left my In-laws arrived (only about 30 minutes after my parents departed). Both my parents and my in-laws kept me busy and on the go, go, go! And, the good thing about it was, the fact that my in-laws were arriving the day my parents left kept me from feeling lonely & by the time the in-laws left I felt more than ready for a little bit of ME time!
4) I'M BUSY!! Not just because I've had so much company.. but because the school year has officially begun, and when I am at school I have no time to think of anything but school.
5) I am keeping in touch with the other spouses from Hubby's Team. Thanks to a brilliant suggestion from my AMAZING SISTER I started a yahoo group so that all the ladies on OPERATION HOMEFRONT can keep in touch while our men are away. And, it has been everything I had hoped AND MORE. You can't even begin to imagine the importance of being in touch with those who truly UNDERSTAND exactly what you are going through during a deployment. It is comforting to feel part of a community that understands AND on top of that, it helps you to really get the big picture of what exactly is going on during the deployment. I've found that each marine always seems to give a different piece of the puzzle when he talks to his spouse.. and when we put all those pieces together.. we are able to really understand the whole picture. It's been very helpful.
I could probably go on and on about why this deployment is better than last, but I am truly a superstitious person at heart and don't want to dwell too much more on this topic for fear that I might curse myself.
So, let's suffice it to say that it's one month in... and I'm holding strong. I can only hope and pray for more of the same throughout the next 6 months.
No comments:
Post a Comment