As you may have heard from the news, today there was an earthquake in Southern California, and because of this, I can now say that I have indeed experienced an earthquake.
Ok. So, maybe the quake was SO weak and short lived where I live that I actually had myself convinced that I had knocked into my TV table and its rocking caused the chair I was sitting on to also rock beneath me. It's just that it happened too quickly and I was by myself so I had no one to affirm what I had felt.. so I just kind of shrugged it off as... "that was weird".
It wasn't until about 30 minutes later on facebook that I noticed friends writing about surviving the earthquake that I realized what I had experienced had NOT been some strange figment of my imagination... it was an EARTHQUAKE!
Yes, it's true, there's not much to my earthquake story. The only reason why I am writing about it now is to proclaim that I have in my past 4 years as a military wife experienced most (if not all) of the natural disasters the United States has to offer.
I was living in the Panhandle of Florida 3 years ago when Hurricane Dennis caused my husband me, our two dogs, and one that we were dog sitting to evacuate our home. I was even there when Katrina tore through Mississippi and Louisiana. Sure, Katrina to me was not much more than strong winds, rain, and the threat of tornadoes.. but the after effects of Katrina.. the devastation.. the fuel shortages.. were all very real to us living only 30 miles from the center of the storm.
And, of course, last year.. there were the Southern California wildfires that had me out of my home and more scared than I can ever remember.. but I won't go into that since if you scroll back in my blogs you can read all about THAT experience.
Oh, and of course.. I grew up in Pennsylvania and did experience one or two blizzards in my day.. even though.. I remember blizzards as nothing more than hot chocolate, cinnamon buns, days off school, jumping off the deck, and taking the unexpected vacation to paint the living room!!!
So, now I've mentioned earthquakes, hurricanes, (the threat of) tornadoes (as a direct result of the hurricanes), wildfires, and blizzards.
I don't know about you, but I'm thinking maybe I should invest in some flood insurance. What do you think?!
:)
No comments:
Post a Comment