My grandmother used to say, "It's a piss poor mother who can't come up with a good excuse for her child."
For the past week or maybe more, Sawyer has been grumpy. I don't mean grumpy for a few moments here and there. I mean that I was jumping through hoops to try to keep that baby from complaining and crying All. Day. Long.
I mulled a few possible "excuses" over in my head. Possibly it's the tooth that I'm pretty sure is trying to find freedom from inside his gums. OR. Maybe he's just at an awkward stage of life. He's curious. Everything that you put in front of him he wants to Touch and Grab and Put In His Mouth. He wants to sit up, lean forward, stand, look around at EVERY SINGLE THING. He wants to be on the move. He does not want to be on his stomach. ever. He does get frustrated with most things after only a few minutes. (Do I smell short temper in his future? watch out world.) Basically, the final excuse that I settled on is that his brain is developing faster than his physical abilities. He wants to do so many things, but he can only do a few of them. I imagine that would be very frustrating.
But it's been exhausting for me.
This morning when he woke up and played in his bouncy seat without complaint while I ate my breakfast, I sighed with great relief and enjoyed my breakfast without stress. When he laid on the floor contently playing with his feet for quite some time, I began to feel some hope. And when he went peacefully down for all three of his naps, I took a breath of fresh air.
Yes. Ok. I can do this. Looks like my baby is not going to be forever grumpy. So he had a couple of rough days. Haven't we all?
.......................................................
You should know. The very day after I wrote that last post about Sawyer rolling over, guess what he did? He rolled over. Only once. But he did it. Again. Finally. He hasn't done it since, but I'm not going to worry about it this time. I think he was letting me know, "Yeah, Mom, I can still do it. When I'm ready and want to, I'll amaze you by rolling over all the time. For now, let me do things my way, on my own schedule."
Sure thing, baby boy. Thanks for teaching me an important lesson.
1 comment:
I, for one, would greatly prefer if he just STOPPED. Growing, developing, getting So Darn Cute (er, I mean continuing to be...!) because I hate that I am missing it all. :)
Post a Comment