Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Culture Shock

It really is a different world out here on the East Coast. I was prepared for some of the changes: different accents (yes, the people here on South Central PA do indeed have accents whether they like to admit it or not), scenery changes, THUNDERSTORMS (if you ever see thunder and lightning in San Diego it's most likely the end of the world).

There are other things, however, that have taken me quite by surprise. They are as follows.

1. country music. I didn't realize the lack of country music in San Diego until I came here and realized that as I search for radio stations, country music stations account for just about every other one.

2. old people. They're everywhere. I guess San Diego just isn't much of a retirement community because darn if it doesn't shock me every time I walk into a grocery store and realize I'm surrounded by SENIOR CITIZENS.

3. people who are physically unable to pronounce my last name. I married a Puerto Rican with a very common, very simple Hispanic last name. In the last 2 days I've heard this last name pronounced three different ways, none of which were even remotely reminiscent of the correct pronunciation.

4. friendly people. One of the first few nights I was in town, my mom and I took my dogs for a walk. Without fail, everyone who drove or passed by waved hello. With every passing person I asked my mom, "do you know that person?" to which she always responded, "nope."

5. Bugs. I was very upset and unsettled during the x-country drive when I received my very first bug bite in who knows how long. We were at a rest stop in Colorado, and I immediately knew that this was one change I was not looking forward to.

I'm very happy to be here with my parents, but there are those times when I feel like I am experiencing quite a culture shock. This makes me think of Michael and how strange the transition must be for him when he comes back from deployment.

No comments: