Sunday, May 23, 2010

Earthquakes

Since I have been living in San Diego, there have been several earthquakes. Up until yesterday, I had only felt one. And the one that I did feel was so minor, that I thought the tv table was shaking because I had accidentally run into it. I didn't realize what I had just experienced was an earthquake until I got on facebook later and noticed everyone's status updates.

I missed at least one earthquake because I was driving in my car and didn't feel it.

A few occurred in the middle of the night, and I slept like a little baby... right through them.

There was a big one on Easter Sunday, but I was on the East Coast and totally missed it. The only physical evidence I had of that earthquake was when I arrived home after my trip and found that a tequila bottle which had been residing on top of my refrigerator had crashed to the ground during the shake.

But yesterday, finally.... I experienced an earthquake. An earthquake that I realized was an earthquake. An earthquake that lasted just long enough for me to reconsider my decision to just sit it out on the couch.

I was lying on my couch yesterday morning, catching up on a few of my DVR'd shows... when suddenly... my kitchen cabinets started shaking. And then the ground under me started shaking. I had just enough time to realize it was an earthquake and freeze in my position. I also had enough time to consider the fact that sitting underneath a ceiling fan was probably not the safest place for me to be.

I mean, how many earthquake drills have I gone through at school? I am fully aware of the fact that during an earthquake I am supposed to take cover under a sturdy table OR find my way to the nearest wall, crouch next to it, and cover my neck and head. But I didn't do any of that. I sat there, watched my house shake, and contemplated the dangerousness of sitting underneath a ceiling fan during an earthquake.

My border collie came running into the room to check on the situation. I didn't see him, but I'm fairly convinced that my siberian husky did not blink an eye and continued to rest peacefully on my bed during the quake.

All in all, I can now say that I have fully experienced a true California earthquake. Now that I've experienced one, though, I can truthfully say that I will lead a happy and fulfilled life if I never experience one again.

No comments: