Saturday, May 16, 2009

Blogging Novice

The truth of the matter is that I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to this whole blogging thing.

I don't blog for the viewership. I blog for my own personal satisfaction and enjoyment. I never expected that anyone other than my mom and my sister ever read my blog. But, one day, I decided to check it out. Maybe there were some closet viewers I wasn't aware of.

I got one of those statistic trackers on my blog.

And, I wasn't too terribly surprised by the results. It turns out, that there might possibly be a couple other people who stop by my blog every now and then. People other than my mom and my sister. Unless, of course, my mom and my sister look a my blog a couple times a day from a couple different computers. I guess I shouldn't rule out that possibility.

It wasn't until today, however, that I noticed there were a lot more statistics provided to me on my stat tracker than just how many people had visited my page that day.

I am able to look at what brought people to my page (pretty much 100% of my viewership comes through my sister's blog - thank you, Sis).

I am able to see the average of how long people stayed at my blog - half stayed for less than 5 seconds, the other half stayed for 2 hours or more. Not sure what to make of those results. Except that I guess a lot of people realized the very second they hit my blog that they were NOT interested in whatever it was I had to say, which I suppose is better than if they had stayed for 5 minutes and left.

And,

I am also able to see the percentage of people who continued to come back after their intial viewing of my blog. That percentage was the worst one. Apparently, if I were a business, I would be on the verge of bankruptcy because I am certainly not obtaining many repeat customers.

I have to say, the whole statistics experience was quite interesting to me. I suppose if I were out to obtain a lot of viewership I would be hanging my head in defeat at this point. But, the fact of it all is that I do not do this for viewership. I don't really understand the blogging world and haven't, myself, been able to find a blog I like to visit regularly - other than my sisters, of course.

If I were really serious, I would probably need to start frequenting the blogs of all those military wives out there, posting comments and making myself known.

But, I'm not going to do that. Maybe when I finally start to have kids and feel that I have something interesting and worthwhile to add to the conversation I might try to pave my way into the world of bloggers.

For now, though, I don't mind being out here in cyberworld by myself. It's nice and quiet.

No comments: